dimanche 30 juin 2024

This summer will be different by Carley Fortune

 

Published by Penguin Random House on May 4th, 2024

368 pages

I read the paperback version

Back cover

Lucy is the tourist vacationing at a beach house on Prince Edward Island. Felix is the local who shows her a very good time. The only problem: Lucy doesn’t know he’s her best friend’s younger brother. Lucy and Felix’s chemistry is unreal, but the list of reasons why they need to stay away from each other is long, and they vow to never repeat that electric night again.

It’s easier said than done.

Each year, Lucy escapes to PEI for a big breath of coastal air, fresh oysters and crisp vinho verde with her best friend, Bridget. Every visit begins with a long walk on the beach, beneath soaring red cliffs and a golden sun. And every visit, Lucy promises herself she won’t wind up in Felix’s bed. Again.

If Lucy can’t help being drawn to Felix, at least she’s always kept her heart out of it.

When Bridget suddenly flees Toronto a week before her wedding, Lucy drops everything to follow her to the island. Her mission is to help Bridget through her crisis and resist the one man she’s never been able to. But Felix’s sparkling eyes and flirty quips have been replaced with something new, and Lucy’s beginning to wonder just how safe her heart truly is.

My review

I have to admit my favorite book from this author is still Meet me at the lake, but I also liked this one especially because it’s happening in the Prince Edward Island the same place than Anne of Green Gables. Since Anne was the first book, I read by myself, the story has a place special in my heart and Lucy is mentioned it a few times in the novel. I never had a chance to go there, but at least I had a chance to travel while I was reading this book.

If you like slow burn romance, I will recommend it to you. I have to warn you that you have to be patient because Lucy and Felix’s relationship takes time to develop. I like that because it makes it more believable especially that Lucy is living in Toronto and Felix is living in PEI. The protagonist has issues she have to deal with before she opens to her best friend’s brother and I was hoping to find what it was while I was reading. You can wait almost until the end to find it.

If I have to choose my favorite character, I would choose Felix because I couldn’t get why Bridget didn’t want her BFF be in love and Lucy was taking her sweet time to take her decision. The story is predictable, but since I am a huge fan of romance, I enjoy every line of it.

Stacy is my second favorite character.  She made me think when she said at Lucy that she should live her life her herself and no one else and it’s the character that make me feel a roller coaster of emotion from the beginning till the end.

It’s the third novel from this author, you do not have to read her other two to understand, since it’s a different story. It’s a great way to discover her writing, if you do not already know her.

As much as the romance is important to the story, I would say the friendship came in second. Lucy’s life wouldn’t be the same if she didn’t met Bridget. Their friendship is similar at Anne and Diana. I can’t tell you much about it without spoiling, but something similar will happens to Lucy, but you have to read the third book of Anne’series to understand what is it.

Excerpts

" Your problem will seem smaller once we get to the island, " Bridget had promised yesterday. I was slumped at the kitchen counter in our apartment, forehead on the granite. She rubbed my back. " Don’t listen to your parents. You’ve got his, Bee. " (p.4)

Because Bridget is my most cherished person. My sage. My sister. I’d do anything she asked me to, including an emergency trip. Including not falling in love. (p.31)

Bridget is wearing her dad’s History is not boring T-shirt and a pair of leggings she describes as loving worn but are actually more hole than pant. She has no time for fashion, and her design sense is atrocious. She once tried her hand at flower arranging, and when I asked whether she was color blind, she thought I was joking. Every so often, she sends me photos of bouquets she thinks I’ll like. They’re terrible, and I love them. (p.62)

" If there’s one thing I can teach you, Lucy, " Stacy said as I sobbed into my wine, " it’s to live your life fully, to live it for yourself and no one else. I know hoe much you love this place, but I have to do what’s right for me, just as you have to do what’s right for you. " (p.84)

I hadn’t told my parents yet. I could already hear my dad, " It’s a sign, Lucy Gosse – time to get a real job. " To my parents, that meant a salary and a cubicle, but I didn’t want that. I wanted In Bloom. (p.88)

Ma chronique de rendez-vous au bord du lac 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Beauty’s Beast by Lee Savino and Stasia Black

  Published on February 2020 224 pages I read the paperback version Back Cover “I’m going to teach you, sweetness. How to give yours...