Published
by Evernight Publishing on June 6, 2025
281 pages
I read the
paperback version
Back
Cover
Signing Off
for the Summer is a new adult romance novel about an overwhelmed radio
journalist who withdraws from her toxic workplace, a bad relationship, and city
life and escapes to her family’s cottage for the summer where she rediscovers
her own voice and the magic of falling in love.
When Maggie Taylor, an up-and-coming journalist, suddenly quits a prestigious
radio internship at 880 News in Toronto, she infuriates her
close-knit family. Unbeknownst to her overbearing parents and controlling
boyfriend, Maggie suffered a traumatic abuse of power when her boss
propositioned her, and she is too ashamed to talk about it. She escapes to her
grandmother’s cottage on Cedar Lake for the summer. There she finds solace and
healing and begins to develop a close friendship with her cottage neighbour,
Thomas. Everything takes a turn for the worse when Maggie’s aunt shows up with
surprising news. More trouble follows when her former boss makes an unexpected
return to her life, threatening everything Maggie has built with Thomas. In
order to move forward, Maggie must face her past and learn to use her voice.
My
review
I’m not a
huge fan of cottages, however I realized that I needed to read it. I’m living
period when I’m asking myself many questions about my professional and personal
life. I could connect to Maggie such much at this point. My family is way more
silent than her, but her up and down with hers remind me that I’m not the only
one in a crazy situation.
The
relationship between Maggie and Thomas was electric. She finally discovers the
sparks to find her voice. He didn’t tell her what to do, but I think the fact
she met Thomas at the cottage helped her with her questioning. The story is
about Maggie. We don’t know much about the male character, and it’s perfect
like that. We see how he is interacting with his friends. He’s a good listened
and he said a few things about his family. He’s still a mystery at the end..
For Maggie,
I have to inform you that I prefer her aunt Katie to her mom. Katie also has a
powerful narrative. I can’t tell you much about it, but it’s worth reading the
story.
Hopefully,
I had a different experience working at a radio station than Maggie, but I understand
why the author turned it that way. It can be hard to make your voice heard. I’m
living it in the book world, and some people can exploit that. At the same
time, it makes the character realistic. I even felt her frustration at first
and her pain when she told the story to Thomas.
You don’t
have to read that book during the summer, but I thought it will help me to feel
the ambiance. Just like I prefer to read fall books during fall or Christmas in
November.
Excerpts
“The media
world is a small on, Maggie. If you quit now, you won’t just burning a bridge.
You’ll be blowing it into the stratosphere.” (p.8)
“No! Young
Leonardo DiCaprio is hot! What are you renting?” (p.30)
Maggie and
June had met on the stage when they were preteens performing in Johnny’s musical
theater company’s production Anne of Green Gables. (p.43)
“The city
life wasn’t for me, I guess.” (p.51)
I wasn’t going
to make any promises I wasn’t sure I could keep. I’ve been hurt by broken promises
in the past, and I swore a long time ago I’d never reject anybody like that.
(p.68)
“The
country looks good on you, Maggie,” said Katie. “You have such a nice tan. The
sun added highlights to your hair, and you don’ have a pimple on your face. I’m
hoping a bit of time up here will help me look as refreshed as you.” (p.87)
It was
immature, embarrassing even, for Maggie to be this affected. (p.108)
“The
problem is that I’m not sure I want to go back to the city! I love the peaceful
life of cottage country-the fresh air, the sunsets and the freedom to go for a
paddle when the workday is done. Isn’t what life is supposed to be about?”
(p.188)

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire