mardi 26 décembre 2023

Essence Surfaced by Carey Decevito


Published on September 25th, 2018 by Emberlust Press

130 pages

I read the paperback version

Back Cover

Orphan.

Empath.

Succubus.

Matched.

These are all things Payton Lilith Devonshire is aware of, but could she deal with them, and where did her match fit in to all of this?

When she discovers the fate of the Fae world rests solely on her shoulders, Payton struggles with her new reality. Curse or gift--could she embrace what she is and move forward with Rafe at her side--or will she embrace the destiny foretold by an oracle and her ancient prophecies?

One thing is clear, someone doesn't want her to reign supreme, and they'll do everything they can to keep her--and those she loves--from prevailing, or just maybe keep her for themselves; something Rafe is hell-bent on preventing.

My review

It’s a mixt of romance with a touch of paranormal. I never read a story with a succubus before I started this trilogy and I thought it was a little bit original. If you are looking for something that will made you forget about real life, it’s a good suggestion. I recommend to start with book 1, so you will know about Payton and Rafe. The story is also very short so it’s a good reading if you do not have enough time to read or if English is your second language.

I thought the story was a little slow at the beginning, but the author surprised me at the end. There is a lot of action and I couldn’t put the book down. I had to say some scenes were difficult to read, but they turned out okay.

I wasn’t sure what to think about Payton first, but I started to like her. After what happened, she is stronger that I thought and she is my favorite character from this book. I also liked Rafe, but I think he is missing something to get the first place. I am just glad he was in Payton’life especially at the end.

Excerpts

Not knowing what she was thinking about this new reality of hers, I made sure to do up a room for Payton, while she ordered us some Italian food for dinner. I didn’t want her to think I expected something out of her. Without saying anything, she seemed to appreciate the gesture. (p.8)

I had hurt him, of that I had no doubt, but he forgot about my independence as well as the sense of preservation I’d acquired since my parents’demise. (p.40)

Needless to say, I never felt any more insecure about who I was as a person. Everything I was; everything I’ve dk e; none of it was ever truly me, now was it? (p.56)

My review of Essence Derived 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...