lundi 4 septembre 2023

Gideon Resurrection – Book 2 of the GIDEON trilogy by Grant Rosenberg

 


Published on July 4th 2023

362 pages

I read the paperback version

Backcover

In GIDEON, Dr. Kelly Harper discovered that her recently murdered father had a shocking secret; he'd led a dark and treacherous double life as a shadowy hit man who targeted only the most depraved people in society. That stunning revelation put Kelly in dire jeopardy and forced her to eventually embrace her father's sinister past to save herself.

In GIDEON RESURRECTION, two months have passed, and Kelly is struggling to keep the clinic afloat. Despite her insistence that Gideon is retired, Benedetto presents her with an “opportunity” she may want to consider…there’s compelling evidence that a sociopathic mother has killed two of her children, and her 13-year-old daughter is very likely to be next unless someone takes drastic measures to stop her.

Meanwhile, Inspectors Pete Ericson and Ron Yee are tracking down a suspect who has murdered multiple drug dealers throughout the city. The investigation quickly turns personal, and Pete must decide if he’s going to take the law into his own hands to bring the killer to justice.

As Kelly once again risks exposure by befriending a potential target, Benedetto is kidnapped by a dangerously eccentric man who’s desperate to uncover Gideon’s identity and will go to any lengths to find out…making every one of Kelly’s moves all the more perilous.

My review

I would like to thank Laura Vandervoort for sending me the book and give me a chance to read and discovers a new author. It’s the second book from a trilogy, but there is a recapitulation from book one at the beginning, so I was able to understand what was going on during the first chapters. I was not lost, but I would recommend to read book 1 first if you like books about murder with a good intrigue.

I did not read that genre since a while, but I was curious to know how the author will turn the story. He surprises me a few times and the intrigue took time to develop and I think it was a great idea. It gives reader the time to get to know the characters and trying to guest what will happens next.

Even though, Kelly has a dark secret, she can be likable sometime and readers can relate to her on some point especially when it came to her wish to live a normal life and she is trying her best to grief her father. She is different from the other protagonist I met in the book I usually read, but I found that refreshing. Even though she is far away to be perfect, I understood her flaws while I was reading and I was wishing her a better life.

I would say that the second character who got my attention was the antagonist, Lisa. She is the type of character I like to dislike. She is selfish and even though she is trying to make Kelly believe that she cares about her daughter, I am not sure it’s the case. I did not feel any compassion for her, but she bring spice in the story and she is the center of Kelly’s evolution.

I think it would make a great movie (or series), the writing is intense and keep the readers interested from the first to the last page. If you like that genre, you will want to read the complete trilogy.

Excerpts

Since her father’s death, Kelly had spent countless hours ruminating on whether she’d ever again enjoy a normal life. A life that included a relationship with Pete. Could she somehow lock her secrets into the darkest recesses of her mind, walling them up like Fortunato? She didn’t know if that were at possible, but the meantime, her hopes for a future with Pete led her to at least keep her options open. (p.9)

He was a sucker for true crime shows and spent far too many weekends binge watching documentaries on HBO and Netflix. Particularly those that dealt with homicide. He was fascinated by murderers and what made them tick, and had an encyclopedic knowledge of killers, from the infamous to the obscure. (p.54)

" What’re you watching? "

" Spider-Man. Zendaya is hot. "

" Which one is she? "

" The hot one, dude. She’s like a bigtime movie star. "

Tomas checked her out and nodded. " She’s too old for you, but I could totally get with that. " (p.115)

" Kelly, you’ve been in turmoil since your father died, and I’m not sure it’s a good idea for you to add more turbulence to your life. If you go though with this, all the progress you’ve made toward healing in the past two months will be washed away and you’ll likely take a massive step backwards. " (p.211)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...