mardi 6 juin 2023

Who’s the boss by Anne Lange

 



Published on July 1st, 2017

290 pages

Paperback

Back Cover

Who gets to be the boss when they're both used to being in charge? Frankie Stevens has always preferred dirt and trucks to dresses and dolls. Wear a pair of heels? Never. Construction boots are as comfortable as a pair of slippers. Her dream is to make a name for herself in the construction industry, by running the company she inherited after her father's death. When somebody tries to sabotage her business, she hires a security professional to protect her assets. But how can she be expected to get any work done with the dominant and sinfully handsome Gabe McBride hanging around?

Gabe has some old-fashioned beliefs. After his father passed away he became "man of the house" and now he’s part-owner of The Vault, an upscale BDSM club. He’s always taken his role as protector very seriously. When he meets Frankie, he expects a hard-edged, been-around-the-block-a-few-times construction worker. Instead, he finds himself toe-to-toe with a feisty sprite, who swears like a champ but smells like lilacs and sawdust. She may not fit any of the boxes on his perfect woman checklist, but his head is jammed full of erotic images of her. She’s clearly a woman used to being in charge, but he's determined to protect her while he uncovers who’s out to ruin her. Now he just needs to get this beautiful, fiery woman to submit to him for both her safety and her pleasure...

My review

I like The McBride men books better than the two other ones, even though I enjoyed reading them all. I found out that they are more about what I am looking for in romance. There are a few scenes that are happening at The Vault, but not much as I found in other three books. The main theme of the story is the relationship between Frankie and Gabe. I like the fact that they take the time to know each other and they are both close from their families. I would say that it is the second theme of the novel and some member might surprise you especially at the end.

The author surprised me a few times especially with the last chapters. I thought it was only going to be a romance, but the intrigued about what is happening with Frankie’s company is great too. I did not find any boring moment while I was reading.

Until now, I have to say that Gabe is my favorite McBride bother’s. I do not know much about him, since we are trying to find who is trying to destroy Frankie’s company, but I know enough to get attached to the character and enjoy what he did for the female protagonist.

I also like Frankie, she is one of my favorite protagonist from Anne’s book. She is not the typical girly type and I find that refreshing in romance. She is the one who take in charge of what she wants and it might get her into troubles, but I admire her for that.

The book is well written and it is a fast pace reading. I will recommend it if you are looking for something to read during the summer. It is the perfect weather for that.

Excerpts

Gabe was a firm believer in rules. When people didn’t follow instructions, orders or rules, accidents happened. Expectations had to be clearly articulated and understood. Consequences were a definite possibility. His goal, like the guy dishing out the directive to Jimmy, was to ensure nobody got hurt while under his watch. (p.2)

Gabe wasn’t a chauvinist – far from it. He loved self-confident, self-sufficient, strong women. Hell, to put up with a man like him, she had to be able to hold her own. But he equally cherished the softer side of them. The side that wanted to be with a man like him. A man who liked to show women how special they were. (p.18)

" She may be a foot shorter than me, but she’s got more balls than some men I know, uses more curse words than you do, and she’s not afraid to stand up for herself. " But she was also smart enough to know when to ask for help. And for one who preferred to be in control at all times, stepping back to let somebody else step forward and run the show took courage. (p.62)

Generally, he was a patient man. Even in his role as a Dom, he avoided aggressive behavior. Some Doms liked to bark out orders, took joy in total control. Not him. He’d found over the years women responded better to softly worded commands. (p.179)

My interview with the author 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...