jeudi 15 septembre 2022

Intuition by Crystal St.Clair

 

Published on August 9, 2015

185 pages

Back cover

MY NAME IS DESTINY, A FACT I APPRECIATE, SINCE I'VE ALWAYS FELT LIKE I HAVE ONE.

I live in the fast lane, which runs right through a world of expensive cars, designer bags, and top-of-the-line everything else – none of which I get to experience. I'm not fancy; I never have been. If there's one thing I know, it's that the world is quick to put labels on everyone and everything, but what a label can't do, is tell you who you really are.

I've come a long way from who I used to be. Ten years ago, I was dependent on others, lacking in direction, and ... in love with Sebastian Medina.

He captured me with his chocolate-brown eyes and his reckless heart. I gave him everything I had to offer back then, even the most sacred parts of my heart and body. When he left, he took my virginity with him. My heart was in tatters.

So, I started trying to put the pieces back together. I went to law school, became independent. Now, he's come back, and the only thing I haven't been able to do is mend my broken heart.

I've followed my intuition, and let him back into my life, but it's carried with it a price. His past has come to haunt us, and the life I've carefully constructed for myself is in danger of being lost ...

My review

A perfect mixt of mystery and romance. I just wish this novella was longer. I feel like in some chapters the story was rush and I did not have enough time to enjoy it. The tension between the main protagonist was really fast. Even though, they have met each other before, it was so long ago that Destiny did not recognize him right away. I could have taken a few pages where they decided to learn more about the person they became.

I enjoyed Destiny. At first, I thought she was just a regular waitress who was taken care of her daughter, but she is so much than that and she gets in trouble a lot. I thought her stubbornness would get on my nerves, but actually it makes me smile. It was one of the funniest parts of the book. She is my favorite character with Olivia.

I liked the fact that Sebastian is speaking Spanish. I do see lots of characters who does that in the book I have read before. I thought it was super romantic even thought he does not say a lot of words in that language. I wish the reader could knew more about him, but I enjoyed the time he was there and we could see that he really cares about Destiny and he wanted a second chance. His voice takes over by the end and I wish the author wrote the name of the protagonist at the beginning of each chapter. I got used to read one chapter with a female voice and the second with a male voice.

Second chances are my favorite romance trope and I am never tired of it. I think the author did a mazing job, but I wish I could see more development. Same thing with the mystery part of the book. I liked to dislike the antagonist, but we did not know them well enough.

I still have one book from this author to read and I will keep her in my author to follow list. I have the feeling she is full of surprises.

Excerpts

You have got to be fucking kidding me! He is not one of my regulars and definitely doesn’t look old enough to be my daddy! My daddy would have taken his ass out for talking to a woman like that!  (p.15)

I can’t shake off the feeling that this is either the start of a beginning or the start of the end. Either way, I have to trust my intuition. (p.24)

" Just relax. Let me have you, mi Hermosa, My beautiful! " The way that the Spanish language rolls through his deep voice and off of his talented tongue sounds romantic and makes me feel so fucking hot for him. (p.54)

The main chorus of the song "Funhouse" by "Pink" starts to play. My head instantly starts banging in the air to the beat of the music in a failed attempt to mimic the music video’s dance move like I just don’t care with my own twist adding a booty shake, in which I thought was cool and original. The chorus plays a second time in a row, then a third before I look over to my stereo and realize that I hadn’t turned it on. (p.77)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...