dimanche 28 août 2022

Stone wings - The Gargoyles of Arrington by Jenn Burke

 

Published on August 30th, 2022

195 pages

Back cover

His curse can only be lifted with true love, but can true love come from a fake date?

Being the personal assistant to a trio of cursed gargoyle brothers who sleep for a hundred years and wake up for twenty-five wasn't a career proposed by Josh's high school guidance counselor, but it's a job that he’s eminently suited for. Not to mention a job his family has been doing for generations. The brothers are truly excellent bosses, but Josh is surprised when Drew offers to pretend to be his date for his high school reunion. And even more surprised by a supposedly fake kiss that feels as real as a kiss can get.

Drew and his brothers owe Josh and his family for watching over them each time they turn to stone for a hundred years, and for helping them reintegrate into the world when they wake up. The least he can do is pose as Josh's boyfriend for a night. Even though true love can break his curse, he knows he won't find it with Josh. Nothing that real can come from a lie. Or can it?

When the fake boyfriend situation stretches into two nights, and then more, Josh and Drew can’t fight the attraction blazing between them. There's no harm in exploring it, right? No expectations. But when paranormal danger comes to Arrington, Josh and Drew are going to have to battle for every moment of peace…and maybe a real happily ever after too.

My review

I would like to take the author for letting me reviewing her latest book. It’s the third book from this author that I read and I keep thinking they are all well written. I do not read male-male romance that often and it was great to get out of my comfort zone. I recommend it if you want to try something new. It’s also the first time I read a story about gargoyles. Not so long ago, I was not a fan of book with characters that weren’t human, but when I went to RTC a few times, I thought it would be a good idea to keep an open mind and it was a good idea to follow my instinct.

Depending of what I am in the mood to read, but reading fantasy once a while and forget about real life troubles is a good thing. It’s exactly what this book did for me. I had a great time and there is enough details to make the reader believe in this world. The fake-boyfriend trope does not work all the time, but I enjoyed it this time. You always see in the movie that the protagonist wants to show his previous classmate that he (or she ) have a better life than before, so I completely understand Josh that he did not want to go to his reunion alone.

Beside the relationship, the family is the second important theme in the story. I liked the dynamics between the brothers. As I can see, each of them will have their own story and I’m curious to know what will happens next. My favorite character was Josh, I think I could relate more to him. I felt like Drew was a little erase. I wish I could know more about him. There is also a few erotic scenes, but not enough to lose the reader interest. It was the right level to think that the relationship is hot.

If you are looking for a fantasy story that will give you a great time and laugh, I recommend it. I am looking forward for Book 2.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

La chapelière de Marylène Pion

  Publié chez les éditeurs Réunis le 24 avril 2024 376 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture Montréal, 1934. Les malheurs sem...