samedi 8 octobre 2022

Interview with Alexa Padgett

 

Biography

USA Today bestseller Alexa Padgett’s books have garnered accolades from prestigious organizations, including Kirkus Reviews, National Indie Excellence Awards, and Publishers Weekly.

Alexa spent a good part of her youth traveling. From Budapest to Belize, Calgary to Coober Pedy, she soaked in the myriad smells, sounds, and feels of these gorgeous places, wishing she could live in them all–at least for a while. And she does in her books.

She lives in New Mexico with her husband, children, and Great Pyrenees pup, Ash. When not writing, schlepping, or volunteering, she can be found in her tiny kitchen, channeling her inner Barefoot Contessa.

Credit for picture and bio: AUTHOR BIO | Alexa Padgett

Questions

What do you like the most about writing?

After I had my oldest child, I started writing. While I’d enjoyed writing prior to that, I needed an outlet from the constancy of their special needs. Writing became my escape, and I discovered I loved the characters in my head—they were fascinating! They tackle tough issues and find their happy along the way.

Why did you decide to write romance?

I first started reading romance in late middle school, and those books taught me what I wanted in a partner. When I was going through tough times, I picked up the genre again. The emotions evoked in those stories were positive and emotionally healing. Once I penned my first book, I was hooked!

What struggles did you meet when you wrote your first novel?

My first novel will never see daylight. It’s a romantic suspense, and it’s buried deep. DEEP!

I struggled with all the typical newbie issues: pacing, plot, character motivation and goals, voice…first or third person point of view….all of that. I kept working on the manuscript, though I didn't understand the craft needed to write something worth reading then.

But I learned through classes, both online and in person, and I read. A lot. During this period, I wrote another book, which also wasn’t that great. I requested feedback from people I respected and trusted. I learned to write more effectively with each iteration of the manuscript. Eventually, I had something I was proud to publish. And I’m thrilled I did.

 

What advice will you give to a new author?

My best piece of advice is to lean into your strengths. This makes writing more fun, and it makes writers more likely to complete a project. For example: I love writing dialogue, and I can develop a fast-paced scene with snappy repartee. That takes me deep into my manuscript, so I’m left with improving the parts I tend not to be as good at (sometimes I’ll re-read a scene and…oops!…I didn’t add any detail about location—at all). I have a checklist so that I can ensure I’ve tackled all my problem areas.

Which one of your books will you recommend to a new reader?

I guess Deep in the Heart. It showcases flawed, complicated characters who struggle through life to find their HEA. Publishers Weekly called it “forceful” and asserted that “for fans of complicated characters, this one’s a shoo-in.”

What are your future projects?

Thanks for asking! My next book in the Wildcatters Hockey series (Book 3) featuring defenseman Maxim and tiny-but-feisty Ida Jane is about half written. I’m also working on a romantic suspense where the villain targets tattoo artists. Both books are fantastic! A few other ideas are bouncing around. Before I tackle something new, I want to write those stories.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Le chant des braises de Fanny Rainville

  Publié chez libre expression le 10 avril 2024 304 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture « Mes racines se désagrègent en con...