Published on July 16th, 2026
390 pages
I read the paperback version
Back Cover
After a brutal public breakup gets her unofficially blacklisted from Hollywood, actress Aurelia Lane is one disaster away from becoming a cautionary tale. So when her agent lands her a role on a cowboy drama filming at a real Alberta ranch, Aura is determined not to screw it up. Too bad she can’t ride a horse.
Quinton Holloway is supposed to be helping save his family’s struggling ranch, not teaching a sharp-tongued movie star how to stay in the saddle. But from the moment Aura shows up with designer boots and stubborn determination, he’s completely screwed.
When paparazzi photos of them together explode online, fake dating seems like the perfect solution—good publicity for her, much-needed attention for the ranch, and a relationship with an expiry date. Except their chemistry is impossible to ignore. Especially when Quint discovers she likes being the one in control.
But behind Aura’s flawless smile and celebrity armor is a woman barely holding herself together. And behind Quint’s easy charm is a man falling hard for someone destined to leave. The more they blur the lines between fake and real, the harder it becomes to ignore the truth.
She’s finally found somewhere she belongs.
And he’s fallen for a woman who never meant to stay.
My review
I received the digital version of this novel before to review it, but if you are following me for a while, you probably notice that I don’t read many e-books. I feel it’s not the same thing when you don’t have it in your hand, and since I’m reading cowboy and smalltown stories to get inspiration for my own next project, I decided to the buy paperback at Pages&Pleasures and I also have the chance to discuss with the author.
I know it’s not the first time I have said that, but it was hard for me to choose a favorite character in this one. I have to go for Quint, just because he helps Aura to accept her new existence. He’s always nice to her, and he actually tries to be part of her world, even though it’s so different from what he’s used to.
Aura is in second position, but close to Quint. I was scared that she was a Hollywood type that didn’t like outdoor life, and she believes she’s better than everyone. It was I thought, at the beginning, Quint’s family had the same opinion about her. Fortunately, just like Quint, you realize that she’s a more complicated character and I appreciate how she grew up in so little time.
Since it's the first book, I’m hoping that the next will be with Shayla, Quint’s sister. She’s the character that made me laugh the most in the entire story. Aura also has a good sense of humour too, but there is something about Shayla that made me want to know more about her.
I also need to inform you that there are a few intimate scenes, it might not be for everyone, but I enjoyed most of them.
Excerpts
“Stop acting like a petulant child and I’ll stop treating you like one. This is it, Aura. I’ve got a lead on something for you. Very promising, but there’s no chance of landing it if you hide under your covers for the rest of your life. “ (p.9)
“This is business. No room for heart.” (p.22)
I reach up, infusing as much confidence in the movement as I can, though I can’t quite control the slight tremor in my hand. First contact. The coat is smoother, softer than I thought it would be. And warm. Like a giant dog. I run a hand down her neck in long strokes, then reach up to scratch under her name like I saw Quint do before. (p.60)
It takes me back to the dance floor last night. The way he held me confidently, the way we moved in sync to the music, our body inches apart. (p.144)
“I know. It’s just..help usually comes with strings in my world. I’m trying to let go of that here, but it’s hard. I know this isn’t LA, but it’s though to lose that mindset. So, if you can be a little patient with me, I’m doing my best.” (p.144)
Yoga has always been a refuge for me, but here, outside in the fresh air and vast empty space. The calming effect is multiplied. The gentle breeze on my skin, the rising sun on my face, and the fresh drew under my bare feet is perfection. (p.158)
Thank you so much for letting me see who you truly are. Thank you for proving me right, because I was starting believe your lies. That I’m not enough Not worthy of your love, or anybody else’s, for that matter. Thank you. But also? Fuck you. Fuck you for trying to make me feel smaller, lesser than you. All because I’ve got different dreams than you do, and because my family is my priority at the moment. (p.279)

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire