mardi 12 mars 2024

Night break by Carey Decevito


 

Published on April 29, 2017

260 pages

I read the paperback version

Back cover

She’d give anything to be what he needs. He wishes she would see what he does when he looks at her. On the eve of a new mission, Dalton Kippers gets the surprise of his life when the cyber angel he’s been in pursuit of, shows up out of nowhere. A threat to his life, Devolin Taylor rushes to Dalton’s rescue to share the information she’d dug up. After all, his accepting the case had been her fault in the first place. Persuaded by Dalton’s implicit trust in her abilities, Devolin joins his taskforce at Nightshade Securities. Only, working in close proximity to the man seems to be a detriment to both their sanity. Anything less than an arm’s length and her brain short-circuits just long enough for trouble to lurk. And when that trouble comes knocking, it might be too late for them to get over their hang-ups and embrace the blistering chemistry they share.

My review

This is a new series, but if you read her Broken Man Chronicles, especially A Heart's War, you might recognize some characters that are coming back in this book. I enjoyed the relationship between Dalton and Devolin, but I thought that the book would have more action. I am not saying that the story was boring, the couple had their ups and downs, but since Develin is a hacker I thought more things would happens.

I give my start to Devolin because she had a rough childhood and had to deal with a lot of things. I can’t tell you more, but it’s totally worth to read the book for this reason, I also liked Dalton by moments. Not at the beginning, I though he was not nice with the female protagonist, but I gave him a chance and I changed my mind by the time I reach the last page.

The story is more psychological that I imagined at first, but normally it is what I look in romance. If you liked the first series of this author, you will also like this one. I found a few points in common between the two series. You do not have to read Broken man to understand this novel, but you will recognize her writing.

Excerpts

He’s by the book. He’s black and white..ain’t any shades of gray with that man, (p.26)

I didn’t give one good goddamn what he did. I was there to drown my sorrows and forget about the clusterfuck I’d put myself in with Dalton. That other woman could have him. (p.102)

" I can’t get pregnant, " I confessed, turning away from his gaze.

I hadn’t planned on telling him like this. I didn’t want to tell anyone about the fact that getting pregnant would be like winning the lottery for me. That is was damn well near impossible. (p.171)

 My review of Once written, twice shy 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Un chien parmi les loups de Marie-Jeanne Rioux

  Publié chez A Éditeur le 2 avril 2024 312 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture Je suis Oslo, biologiste fasciné par le Gra...