mardi 9 janvier 2024

Awakened by Jodi Kendrick

 

Published by SoulGate Publishing on October 7th, 2020

198 pages

I read the paperback version

Back Cover

An ancient ocean legend, Lirikai has awakened. She must discover if she is the last of her kind and if she can adapt and find her place in this new world. Carson is called in by the Aquaterrestrial Task Force, the water division of the Federal Paranormal Unit, to investigate murder victims left on the beach, punctured with mysterious bite marks.

When Lirikai rolls out of the ocean surf asking after the Goddess in the ancient language, Carson questions whether she is connected to his case or if she was sent to him by his lost Goddess. After centuries alone, can they overcome their ingrained sense of duty and purpose and find common ground?

My review

It’s different from what I am used to read, but similar to the others novels from the author.  I would like to thank her for helping me to getting out of my comfort zone. If you like fantasy, I recommend you, her books. She has a gift to made you forget about the normal life and take you somewhere else.

I was a fan of the little mermaid when I was a child and I thought that this story could be interesting. There is some point in common like Lirikai who was living in the Ocean and now she sis trying to find her place in the human world by helping Carson and falling in love with him. If you like romance, you will enjoy that part. Fortunately, it’s not the main point of the novel. There is a mystery around the protagonist and a curious event happens in the middle and I was following the character hoping they will get the antagonist. It’s probably the part that I liked the most.

I would be honest sometimes I got lost with all the paranormal terms, so I had to reread the paragraph, but since I like that the story is brining me somewhere else when I read, it’s a bonus point. My favorite character so far is Carson. He is a bit different from the other male protagonist I saw in novel. He does not trust Lirikai all the time, but it’s the same thing for her. I just like the dynamic between them.

Excerpts

Inside, her mind was racing. She barely remembered the English she’d learned the last time she was awake in the world, and it certainly didn’t sound like what little she heard now. (p.20)

" That’s what we do. The goddess created us to devour the vilest among us. " She answered in the old language, and Carson translated, the words coming more naturally now. (p.29)

She gave a short laugh. "For a long time, we descended with vengeance on those that had destroyed our lives. There was some balance established, but it didn’t last. The exploiters of the world continued on; our work was never ending. "(p.50)

She’d only walked out of the sea the day before, she’d been a potential suspect, quickly turned investigative partner with her own agenda, and they’d ended the day the day with dinner and sex. (p.111)

My interview with the author 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...