mardi 26 septembre 2023

A change of pace by Freya Barker

 

Published on June 30th, 2018

438 pages

I read the paperback version

Backcover

Once a man who lived by the letter of the law. Newt Tobias will do anything for his little girl. Even take early retirement, sell his city home, and move to cottage country, hoping that the simpler life will provide a better balance for his troubled teenage daughter. Yet, not long after they’ve settled, he finds himself toe-to-toe with a stubborn, fiery tempered woman with pretty brown eyes. Once a recluse preferring to live alone.

Working with troubled adolescents, Frederique Marchand doesn’t suffer fools and won’t put up with bullies. Especially handsome strangers like Newt who think they can run roughshod over her. She loves her work, but on her own time she much prefers the company of her menagerie of animals. But with the welfare of a teenager at stake, she must put aside rocky first impressions and work with a man who needs her as much as she’ll come to need him.

My review

This is the fourth book I read from this author and she impressed me every time. She is one of my top authors in English. If you like contemporary romance with older character, I recommend it. I like the fact that the protagonists are in their 40’s. I am getting closer to that age and I have more in common with these characters.

I have a soft place for Frederique who have a passion for dogs and cats. I did not see so many animals since I read 100 dalmatians when I was a child. She is also working with teenagers with troubles which means she had a lot of compassion. I like to find characters like her in a novel. She is sweet and spicy in the same time.

I also like Newt who will do everything for his daughter. Since he is a single dad, he is the only one who can take care of her. I also have to tell you that his daughter is a surprising character. She brings action into the story and the relationship between Newt and Fred would not be the same if she weren’t there.

None of the characters are perfect, but it’s their flaws that make them likable. The title resume the story knowing that Newt and his daughter moved to a quiet place. At first, they were living in Kanata (near from where I like) and he had a stressful job. He made the best decision of his family and it reminded me that a change of pace is what I need right now.

Excerpts

" He’s a therapy dog, and he comes in contact with a lot of people. If he just accepted every treat that was offered, he’d be as wide as he is tall. Not healthy for a dog. "(p.49)

" Kids that age don’t always know how to express themselves, and in an already emotionally charged situation, they turn inward. I’m guessing Millie never really talks much about her feelings, period. " (p.125)

" Haven’t been home much lately. Fuck..I’ve even slept in my office to avoid going home. Always fighting – I figured it’d be easier just to stay away. Avoid confrontation. Thought it would be less stressful for the kids. Never once did I consider…" (p.191)


My review of A change of tide 

My review of A change of view 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...