mercredi 10 août 2022

Together we stand – A collection of short stories by Canadian authors

 

Published on July 31st, 2020

377 pages

Back cover

As the entire world is impacted by COVID-19, a group of talented Canadian authors and authors with Canadian roots have come together to bring you short stories in multiple genres, each one surrounding essential workers.Join 30 True North authors and allow yourself to be captivated from a social distance.

Authors include:Geri Glenn, C.A. King, Cameron Allie, V.J. Allison, Cassia Brightmore, AW Clarke, M. Jane Colette, Allison M. Cosgrove, Tricia Daniels, Carey Decevito, Gillian Jones, Andréa Joy, Jean Kelso, Bethany-Kris, JA Lafrance, C.J. Lazar, Sue Langford, K Logan, Leah Negron, Lorne Oliver, DD Prince, Jennifer Rose. Crystal StClair, P. Stormcrow, Kadian Tracey, Maria Vickers, J.M. Walker, Scarlett Wells, Tracy Willoughby

My review

I bought this anthology from Crystal St.Clair with two others books from here. I thought with everything that happens in the last three years, it would be an important subject to talk. I loved the idea that they don’t only talk about nurses, doctors and paramedics, but also cashiers and people who had to work with the public. I think they deserve more respect and not only because they work in front line when most of people worked from home. They are still taking lots of chances to get the virus than most of people and even before that it wasn’t an easy job.

I had a chance to read a short story from my colleague from Ottawa Romance Writers: Carey Decevito, I always enjoyed reading her stories and she still on my list of authors to follow. She wrote one about friends to lovers and it’s a theme that I like to find in that kind of stories. I gave her a star for mentioning Dawson Creek. I had the theme song in my head the whole time I was reading her part.

Most of the stories are romance and I like the fact that we don’t only meet straight couple. You will also find F-F and M-M protagonists. I was surprise by the diversity and each story brought something new at the anthology. I highly recommend it, if like me you have sometimes difficulties to concentrate because you can start with one story and come back later for the next one without losing track.   

My two favorites are the two last short stories that was about cashiers working in a grocery. The way people were acting with the protagonists reminded me bad memories when I was at their places (almost 20 years ago) and the whole time I was thinking they deserved a much better treatment.

In general, I think the authors explored the subject from the beginning at the end and event though to was mostly about relationship, some parts made me thing about how we interact and how things changed in only few months. I will never see people who work in the front line the same way.

Excerpts

Essentially broken by C.A. King

Children. She’d wanted her own before the virus reared his ugly head. Now, bringing life into a sickness-ravaged world had become a question of morality. Waiting to see if things improved in a year or two had been her answer. (p.4)

Finding love, amongst the empty shelves by Tracy Willoughby

As I headed from store to store, I witnessed the chaos of people behaving like they had been locked inside a cage and lost the ability to act civilized. It was a if a zombie apocalypse was upon us. (p.8)

Surrendering hearts by Kadian Tracey

Primose spent the night in my old room. I hadn’t had time to redecorate so the ungodly pink walls were still covered in Backstreet Boys posters and pictures from high school. (p.20)

Fighting for him by JA Lafrance

I pull up the face sleeve over my nose, put on my sunglasses and dig out the pair of rubber gloves I carry with me along with my hand sanitizer. Yes, it takes me a few minutes to get everything on, but I need to show these people that I am serious. (p.41)

Wait for me by JM Walker

" I wanted to impress you. I know we don’t know each other and it’s hard to trust anyone these days. But thank you for putting your trust in me and letting me take you out tonight. " (p.66)

Catching the lovebug by Jennifer Rose

" Wearing a mask and gloves all day suck, " Kyle explained. "Customers think the world is coming to an end. They don’t want to listen to the rules, they are hoarding as if the manufacturers will never make toilet paper again, and the selves are empty. I mean completely empty. We have no idea when or if trucks will be delivering products and with shortages, we’ve had to put restrictions on how much each customer can buy. In other words, costumers are getting ugly and we’re the bad guys. I even had a costumer take a swing at me. " (p.102)

Soaked by M. Jane Colette

Then the Darth Vader respirator, with its N95 filter. " Thanks " her friend said, hoping out of the car. "That’s the real reason I’m making you stay in the car, by the way, while I take care of Hot Nursie’s plumbing needs, " she cackled once safely outside. " Hoping straight girl has a Star Wars fetish. " (p.125)

The last bus stop by P. Stormcrow

As always, the afternoon and evening passed like a blur. Between rush hour traffic jam, the man in the suit yelling at her for not letting him on because the bus was over-full and the group of teenagers trying to sneak on without paying the fare, Dani was beginning to consider a career change. (p. 148)

The valley by Bethany-Kris

The past was a memory that had been tattooed to the back of Kisska’s mind since she walked away from it. But like tattoos on her skin, her memories of what she used to be were permanent. She pretended it wasn’t there, letting time do its job of blurring the edges of her memories and fading the scar tissue of her history into something less..tender. (p.206)

Worth the wait by Scarlett Wells

" I found this website that will send you a new book every month. They don’t tell you what it is, but based on your interests, they will pick one for you, wrap it in brown paper and string, and send it to you. Since I like romance… " (p.219)

No rest for the wicked by Carey Decevito

I fucked up. I know I did, and I’m making things worse by being short with Johana. After all, it’s not the first time we’ve slept in the same bed together. Hell, we grew up like two peas in a pod, always in each other’s business. It was your average Dawson’s Creek episode, focusing on Dawson and Joey. (p. 246)

Out of the blue by DD Prince

I haven’t dated anybody in a while. But anyone who knows me knows I’m a no-nonsense girl. Anyone who doesn’t know me probably wouldn’t get that I’m a busy girl with barely enough time to pee, never mind date. I’m always being told to live a little, that I’m too serious. (p.256)

Handcuffs & Stethoscopes: Beat of my heart by Crystal St. Clair

I assumed Dr. Jack Masan could tell from the baggage under my eyes that I desperately needed an energy boost. The type of boost I wanted required a longing touch, but he at least understood sweet caffeine. If his lips tasted as sweet as they looked, he’d be exactly what I’d order. (p.318)

Just one night by Geri Glenn

For tonight, I’m a sexy badass woman looking for an evening of freedom and excitement after months of doing nothing but be a super-parent and sleep, unable to socialize for fear of risking the health of myself, my family, Tonight, I’m burying the real me as deep as I can get her, and eager to experience what it’s like to be someone else. (p.328)

We see you too by Allison M. Cosgrove

" I know. I just wish people could spend a minute in our shoes. We are just scared as they are, but they get to stay home with they loved ones while we’re out there in the line of fire to make sure they have the things they need for their families. " (p.355)

Checking out Mr. Right by Leah Negron

" Ma’am, there is no excuse for you being so rude to this young lady. She is only doing her job. She even announced over the PA a few times while we were waiting in line that this register is for twenty items or less. If you hadn’t had your head up your ass and been on your phone cursing like a madwoman, you might have heard the announcements. " (p.362)

My interview with JA Lafrance 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Night Shift – Night shade 2 by Carey Decevito

  Published on January 9, 2018 236 pages I read the paperback version Back Cover A serial killer… A past that haunts no matter how ...