mardi 27 juillet 2021

Artistic License by Olivia Rigal

 

267 pages

Back Cover

Laura Sweet has a million dollar secret, and it’s hanging on the wall for everyone to see.

Steven Goldsmith and James Evans are partners in more than just a Madison Avenue art gallery.
They also share a fascination for the beautiful and talented Laura.
When a rare masterpiece with a mysterious past comes on the market, they jump at the chance, not knowing it could be the end of not only their business, but the life they are building with the passionate young woman they’ve come to love.

Torn between admitting her role in the shady history of the painting, or sacrificing the only happiness she’s ever known, Laura is left with an impossible choice. And Laura’s secret is bigger than just herself. The dealer selling the painting knows exactly who she is, and unless she agrees to the dangerous deal he proposes, there might not be a way to save any of them from ruin.

My review

I won this book at Romancing the Capital in 2018 and I can not believe I waited so long to read it. Lately, I decided to reduce my TBR and this novel was calling me. I like art in general and even though painting is not a passion of mine, I could easily enjoy this book. The author wrote her characters in a way you easily get attached to them and you like to dislike the antagonist.

I will be honest with you, I am not a huge fan of menage à trois especially they were the first Laura serious relationship, so I was wondering if someone who never had a real boyfriend will accept to have two. Fortunately, this book is more about the suspense and about Laura finding about herself than romance, so it did not brother me that much. I like the fact that the erotic scenes are there for a reason and Laura had deep feelings for them. She is not sleeping with them for the thrill of it.

The main character has been through so much and I never guess her secret until I reach the end. If you like this genre, the wait totally worth it. Laura surprised me from the first chapter until the last one. She is well developed and while I was reading, I could feel her pain. Keep your Kleenex close, you might need them

I am still not sure what to say about Steven and James. They are protective of Laura and they try to be patient until she opens to them, but I wish the reader knew more about them, so I could get a complete idea. My favorite male character was Maurice, not only because of his French expression, but he took take care of a teenager when he did not have too. He gave her what she needed to became a women and talented artist.

This is the first book I read from this author and I hope it won’t be the last. I learned the 3 main characters are back in other novels and I want to know what is going on with them especially after the end. I like that the story is set in the end of 70’s and beginning of the 80’s. I have read so many stories that are happening in present day or historical romance that it was fresh to see something happening just before I was born.

I recommend it if you like romantic suspense and I am pretty sure it won’t be the last book I will review from her. 


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Entrevue avec Fanny Rainville

  Crédit :  Facebook Biographie Diplômée de l'École nationale de théâtre du Canada, Fanny Rainville écrit et joue pour le Web, la télé...