vendredi 18 juin 2021

Almost Forgotten – The broken men chronicles by Carey Decevito

 


Published on January 19th, 2016

311 pages

Back Cover

Jake had it all: money, women, and great looks. He was happy. Well, he thought he was.

Then, a series of women and a ghost from his past made him re-evaluate everything.

Why had she come back? Why was she standing in his firm's boardroom with his opposing counsel? And the burning question - why did he give a damn after fifteen years?

She had broken his heart all those years ago, and Jake chose to live the life of a bachelor from there on out. Along with his fast-paced career, he maintained a fast-paced social life. It's what worked for him. At least he'd convinced himself it did.

The loneliness of his large home the minute the housekeeper clocked-out and the women warming his bed deserted him left him wanting. Could he get what so many of his friends already had: the woman, the family, the house with the white picket fence? Maybe. But just because he desired those things, things he'd sworn off ages ago, doesn't mean they were destined for him.

One thing was for sure; with Danica back in town, Jake's life was never going to be the same again..

My Review

This is the second book I read from this author and my heart melt every time. I love the fact that family and friends are equally important than the romance in her writing. The main plot is about second chance, so I knew how it will end. She wrote it in a way that the characters surprised me especially Danica’s father. What makes it different wasn’t just the rediscovery of their feelings for each other, but the subplots and secondary characters.

Not the first time that a father hides something from his daughter, but I disliked him and I understood why she reacted that way. The author is great to describe her characters psychology and makes us feel like they are real people. I would not spoil anything, but when I started reading this novel, I thought it was Danica that was lying to Jake. I will let you discover if I was right or not.

I thought there were too many sexes scene and not enough relationship development. I understand they were separated for 15 years, but I found out they spend too much time in bed instead of working on their issues. Fortunately, we see a few guest appearances from Paxton from book 1 and the story introduced Danica’s son Jordan and her brother Mike. Three other characters that I like. The friendship between Paxton and Jacob (Jake) was one of the highlights of the story.

The intrigue in general is interesting, I read it in two days because I could not put the book down. I forgot how her universe can be addicting. I really wanted to know what was going to happens to Jake and Danica.

I recommend to read the book 1 before this one because some characters are coming back.  I read it more than a year ago and I was able to follow the story without re-reading the previous novel. The author wrote 5 books for this series and I have them all in my To Be Read. I regret that I waited so long to continued it and hopefully I will finish it before 2022.

I think it was refreshing to read a novel with a male point of view. Sometimes I read a story with both, but this time it was 100% Jake ‘story. I know it’s not easy to write from the opposite sex point of view, but Carey did an amazing job.

If you like romance and looking for something different, this novel is for you. Let me know what you thought if you already read it. 

Excerpt

I knew I was denial. Why couldn't I jus accept that Ben and Paxton were right and be honest with myself. (p.34)

My review about Once Written - Twice Shy


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Comme une ombre – Une enquête de Léa Beaumont de Kim St-Pierre

  Publié chez les éditions Goélette le 2 mars 2023 228 pages Lu en format papier 4 e de couverture L’enquêtrice Léa Beaumont est dé...