mardi 31 mai 2022

Play me to infinity – The broken men chronicles book 3 by Carey Decevito

 


Published on November 23, 2014

Back cover

Burned by his ex-fiancée, Mike Withers traded in his dream of a family and home of his own, complete with the white picket fence, and submersed himself in work. And entertaining the occasional lady.

So, when he relocated to Jacksonville to take over as CEO of Withers International, and be closer to his sister’s family, he never imagined he'd find himself at a crossroads.

Once a player, always a player, right? Wrong! At least, that’s what Mike now has to prove to Nicole Baxter...

Combine Nikki’s games with a problematic mélange of exes, and Mike quickly realizes he’s heading down one of two roads – heartache, or the life he thought he had given up. Ultimately, the choice is his to make.

Maybe his ex wasn't the one? Maybe he'd given up too soon? And maybe happiness lay in the form of a feisty, argumentative, tiny package in a tight skirt - with the ability to turn any argument into foreplay? 

My review

I know this book was release almost 8 years ago and I had it on my TBR for so long and I regret I waited so long to read it. I wished I had more time to read all the book I have especially this series. I recommend to start with the book 1 because some characters are coming back in book 2 and this one. You can also read it alone, if you are looking for a great comptemporary romance.

Play Me to Infinity combines two of my favorite tropes: enemies to lovers and sibling's best friend. I was wondering how Mike ‘sister was going to react when he will tell her that he had a crush on her best friend. At the beginning, Mike and Nicole did not like each other at all. I felt she had feeling for him since a really long time, but break up can destroy confidence in the other sex. I like the nickname he gave her: Ice Queen. I think it was perfect for when they meet again at work.

I was suspicious when it came to Mike, I was almost sure he was going to betrayed her. You will have to read the book to discover if he really changes. I noticed some repetition while I was reading and they said I love you a lot, but in general the intrigue is great and mysterious enough to keep the reader interested. I read it in only one day. Maybe it’s because I was in the mood, but Mike is one of my favorite guys. The author surprised me at the end, some events happens and I could not guess who was behind it.

I like the author sense of humour, she made me laugh and it’s helped me to get attached to the characters. Nicole annoyed me a few times, but I remembered she was heartbroken, so I decided to give her a second chance. Just like Mike, they can be full of surprises.

Excerpt

It was time I got rid of Tania. She was incompetent and she gave me more grief than help on the best of days. (p.10)

"A simple no would have sufficed. " I walked away adding a mumbled, " Ice queen. "

"What was that? "

I turned and marched back to her. She’d let her door against her suitcase and there she stood with her hands on her hips, fire brewing in her eyes.

"I called you a fucking ice queen," I said " For someone who’s so smart with business, it amazes me that you can be so damn stupid in your personal life. You might want to practice what you preach on taking chances. It applies to everyday life too, honey. " (p.49)

"Because I know you’re happiest when you’re playing." She reached to open the case and pulled out the guitar, her fingers skimming its surface reverently. " I can’t have you living here and not have your music. You’d be miserable, and I’d miss hearing you. " (p.187)

My review of the first book

My review of the second book 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Entrevue avec Stéphanie Parent

  Crédit : Marc-Antoine Charlebois ( Stéphanie Parent – Saint-Jean Éditeur (saint-jeanediteur.com) Biographie Stéphanie Parent a travaillé...